Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

That Was Today

I got up at 6:30 this morning to run a race. Let's not talk about the results, k? I did decent but not as well as I could have. But as I was hoofin' it down Main Street, an older guy passed me. This isn't unusual because people are always passing me but this guy stood out. I see him all over town running. I fact, I've never seen him not running. Not even when he's waiting to cross the street. This last winter when we had some ice and I had to go to work, he was running with his winter gear on. Crazy, right? I made a mental note to find him later on and introduce myself.

After my dead body crossed the finish line, I found the mystery runner.


I know I sounded crazy to him but I was so honored to meet him. His name is Jim Merritt, he's 67 and lives in Buford. This is the back of his shirt...


That's right. Today was day number 4969 of consecutive running. He has run every day since October 29, 2001. There is a website dedicated to "streak running". http://www.runeveryday.com/lists/USRSA-Active-List.html go check it out. Jim is number 130. The guy at the top of the list has been running for 46 years!! Jim started in 2001 as a way to help him quit a 30 year addiction to cigaretts. He said that his physicals the last two years have been so good that his doctors tell him he's healthier now than he was back then. How amazing!! 

Maybe I don't run every day nor do I have the fastest 5k time but at least I got my butt out of bed this morning and did something healthy for myself. Take that, world!

After a busy morning and a well deserved nap, we headed to the lake...


My sweet little man!

Have a great Sunday!!

-W



1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I almost ran that race!! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete