Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day


Last year, me and B got married. I had been dreaming of the day that I got to dance with my dad at my wedding and had always had one song picked out. I had chosen "Down The Road" sang by Kenny Chesney and Mac McAnally. A beautiful song about a daughter wanting to marry a boy she believes is perfect and how the mother wants to make sure he is a Christian boy but the father is worried about if he can take care of his little girl. I thought it was perfect.

My dad had a different agenda.

The first time I pitched this idea to my dad, he said he didn't want that song and he wanted a song called "Keep On Smilin'" by Wet Willie. Hold the phone.... Wet Willie?! Is there such a person? I've never heard of this person and can't imagine what kind of music he sings. I also thought my dad was pulling my leg because he has been known to do that kind of thing.

As the wedding drew nearer, he became more persistent on his song choice. He wouldn't budge an inch! I, however, was holding firm on my ground. I wanted this to be a special moment and I didn't want to ruin it with some crazy song from this "Wet Willie" fella.

One day while I was making song selections for the wedding, I decided to YouTube Wet Willie and see what was up. That lead me here. Not bad, eh? Not the sentimental song I was hoping for but I really liked the message.

When the wedding ceremony was over, we moved from the beach to a grassy area where the reception was to be held. I danced with B first to "First Dance" by Corey Smith and then it was time for me to dance with my dad. The d.j. called Dad forward and then began playing "Keep On Smilin'" by Wet Willie. The picture at the top of the post is of my dad's reaction to the song. All he said was "You didn't have to play this!"

.....

Thanks, Dad.

Today I think back to my wedding and remember that huge grin on his face as we danced to that song. I like to think of that moment often. Especially when I've had a bad day or something just isn't going the way I had hoped and planned. Remembering that smile on his face reminds me to keep on smilin'.

Happy father's day to my dad and to all of the other amazing fathers out there. We love you and you are very much appreciated.

-Me and B

1 comment: