Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Time To Tee It Up Between The Hedges!

Most southerners will say there are just a few things in life they love more than anything else in the world. God, family and football..... in that order. Today I want to focus on the third.

Football isn't just a sport for us but instead it's a religion. The coach is our preacher, the playbook our Bible and the referee our Devil. Saturday becomes our Holy Day and the first game of the season is our baptism, washing away the sins of watching any other sport besides football since the last season was over. Everyone belongs to a certain religion too. Mine happens to be the Bulldawg Nation. I was born into this following and bleed red and black. I'm also a strong believer that God himself is a Dawg fan, why else would the Bible be written in red and black?


Yes, football is very important to us. Pregnancies, deliveries and weddings are planned around football seasons, cars are chosen in colors that support your teams and man caves are decked out in everything UGA. It's a fun time of year to live near Athens, Georgia.


Football season also holds a special place in my heart because it is what brought me and B together. I only applied to one college in high school, the University of Georgia. To my amazement, I was accepted and then also accepted to the Redcoat Marching Band. I know, I know. It sounds super lame to march in a band while in college. BUT, how else was I going to get to go to all of the games for free? Duh! Also, they are the biggest party group on campus of the #1 party school. It was amazing. More importantly, I met B while marching. He was a trumpet player and someone I was already familiar with.


We got to know each other during the Florida/Georgia game of 2006 and the rest is history. He proposed in Savannah, Georgia and we were married in Panama City Beach, Florida. Of course, our wedding was UGA themed and my garter had little G's all over it. Our t.v. stand is a giant Georgia G, our children will be products of the Redcoat Band and their first words will be Gooooooooooo Dawgs. Sic 'em. Woof Woof Woof. 


So this weekend and the rest of the weekends in 2012, I will raise my Georgia G Solo Cup to the Dawgs and proudly say 'Sco Dawgs!!! 

Glory, glory to old Georgia!

-W

No comments:

Post a Comment